On this page, ENGAGE with me personally. I’ll post articles I hope you find winsome, as well as bits of news and musing about my current activity. I welcome your comments.

Subscribe to my email newsletter to receive a free ebook of Wet Thaw, two award-winning short stories by me. Or you can connect by Facebook or by email: deb@debelkink.com.

WIN YOUR SIGNED COPY!

I can’t believe it’s been five years since my debut novel was published, and to celebrate I’m giving away THREE postage-paid, signed copies (with gold-foil award seal) to readers who most creatively answer (at “Leave a Reply” below) the following question: If you were going to Paris this spring, what would be your first tourist stop and why?

Get your creative juices going and check out Google to drool over the wonderful City of Lights! I can tell you right now that MY first stop (after a bakery for a raspberry tart and café crème–YUM!) would be to . . . let’s see . . . maybe Sainte-Chapelle because of the way, the last time, the multi-colored sunlight fractured the air above my head, the stained-glass kaleidoscope surrounding me like a halo of rubies and sapphires and emeralds (as it did to the novel’s main character in chapter 18). Or maybe I’d visit the Louvre to gaze upon the statues that became the novel’s icon (chapter 19). Or tromp though (chapter  14) the basilica of Sacré-Coeur or glory in the sheer decadence of Opéra Garnier or . . .

I can’t decide! HELP ME!

This article was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. Follow comments with the RSS feed for this post.Post a Comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

-->

29 Comments

1. Susan Munro
    Posted January 18, 2017 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

My first stop after arriving in Paris would have to be a wonderful little cafe with outdoor seating. I love to people watch and can’t imagine a more wonderful way to start my vacation.

• Posted January 18, 2017 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

Thanks for kicking this contest off, Susie!

• Posted January 18, 2017 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

First? You’re kidding, right? Eiffel Tower
        Second: The Three Graces, of course!

2. Posted January 18, 2017 at 7:53 pm | Permalink

Revisit the Louvre! I missed much of it the last time even after four days of many hours each day.

3. Ingrid Bizio
    Posted January 18, 2017 at 11:11 pm | Permalink

My first stop would be Sacre Coeur Cathedral, because the last time I was in Paris (1978), the ONLY time I was ever in Paris, I was only there for a day and never got to see it. I have always wanted to go back but never got the chance!

• Posted January 19, 2017 at 9:48 am | Permalink

Ingrid, it is a neat sight. I bought a watercolour sketch (from an artist on the street going up to the basilica) that beautifully captures the feeling of the area.

4. Ingrid Bizo
    Posted January 18, 2017 at 11:17 pm | Permalink

Sacre Coeur Cathedral, because the last time I was in Paris in 1978, the ONLY time I ever was in Paris, I was only there for one day abd visiting didn’t get to see it. I’ve always wanted to go back but never got the chance!

5. Kerrie
    Posted January 19, 2017 at 9:36 am | Permalink

I would first get myself some chocolate and bubbly Champagne! Then I would arrange a whole day to wander the grounds and palace at Versailles! It is so beautiful there! Then I would hope that my friend Deb, who is a Paris expert, would take me on her personal tour of the City of Lights! We could stroll along wearing stylish hats and experiencing the wonders of Paris!

• Posted January 19, 2017 at 9:51 am | Permalink

Champagne AND chocolate? And then include ME? You are definitely on the track to winning one of these books, Kerrie!

6. Arlene Schapansky
    Posted January 19, 2017 at 9:40 am | Permalink

We do have a connecting flight to Paris next month on our way back from Rwanda. Unfortunately we won’t have time to visit, but my first stop would be to see the 700 year old Sainte-Chapelle. I would love to experience the stained glass windows, see the relics, and take part in hearing music echo throughout the building.

• Posted January 19, 2017 at 9:53 am | Permalink

Arlene, that is truly one of my favourite sights. Thanks for pitching in to this contest!

7. Lynn Krivak
    Posted January 19, 2017 at 10:58 am | Permalink

As a lover of all kinds of art I would visit the Louvre for a third time, without hesitation. This time however I would seek out “The Three Graces”, as your delightful novel had not been written yet; and my main priority has always been paintings, as I focus most of my work on painting. There is so much to see at this wonderful palace of art I am sure I will need ongoing trips in my future!

• Posted January 19, 2017 at 11:47 am | Permalink

Yep, the Louvre is famous for a reason, isn’t it? Thanks for contributing your opinion, Lynn.

8. Posted January 19, 2017 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

Choosing a first stop for a dream vacation to Paris, the city of love and lights seems almost surreal. How to choose one famous spot I’ve longed to visit over another for the honor of being first iconic tourist destination. I believe I treat myself to a tasty French pastry near the Eiffel tower as I waited for the company of Deb,a fellow Canadian, well versed with the sights, sounds and tastes of this delightful city. I would feast my eyes on the tower from a distance before standing beneath it – or climbing it. I’d listen the music of French speaking voices and allow my taste buds to savour the delicacy placed before me. Simply enjoy being in the moment.

• Posted January 19, 2017 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

Carol, you have me longing to go back to Paris myself! Thanks for entering–keep watch for contest winners . . .

9. Posted January 20, 2017 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

I’m 100% with Susie on this one! I love visiting cute little cafes all over the place! That would absolutely be my first stop and then I might go check out some of the more touristy places next

• Posted January 20, 2017 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Talitha. There’s this one cafe in Paris that is my favourite–serves the THICKEST chocolat chaud in the world.

• Talitha
        Posted January 20, 2017 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

That sounds delightful, even being more of an espresso lover myself 🙂

10. Ellen
    Posted January 20, 2017 at 11:52 pm | Permalink

The Rodin museum because the one time I was in Paris, I walked a couple of miles to get there and it was during business hours, but they had closed early. 🙁

11. Pat G.
    Posted January 24, 2017 at 8:41 pm | Permalink

I think I would need to find a grassy spot not too far from the Eiffel tower, so I could enjoy a simple picnic lunch and soak in some of the sights and sounds around me, before heading off to visit the Louvre. After a long flight, I need a little bit of time to get ready for hours and hours of sightseeing. Beware, I might forget all about time once I get inside the Louvre!

12. Posted January 25, 2017 at 7:55 am | Permalink

AND THE WINNERS ARE . . . (but first, I must say that I couldn’t subjectively choose the best three, so I put all your names into a hat and pulled out) . . . LYNN, TALITHA, and PAT! Congrats, girls–I will be contacting you for your addresses.

• Pat G.
      Posted January 25, 2017 at 8:14 am | Permalink

Wow! Thanks so much, Deb! I never tire of reading, and I look forward to getting lost in The Third Grace. Hmmm….will this fuel my interest in a “real” trip to Paris? I’m ok with that!

• Posted January 25, 2017 at 8:16 am | Permalink

Thanks, Pat. I’ve emailed you and will await your mailing info . . . Hope you do enjoy the novel and that you get to Paris soon!~

13. Pat
    Posted February 4, 2017 at 9:27 am | Permalink

Deb, my book arrived yesterday, and I’m excited! I look forward to reading it; will keep you updated! Thank you! Your generosity is beautiful.

• Posted February 4, 2017 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

Pat, it’s a pleasure to know of your pleasure in this. Hope you do enjoy the read.

14. Lynn Krivak
    Posted February 7, 2017 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

Deb I am thrilled to have received an autographed copy of your book complete with such a lovely personalized inscription inside. Thank you so much for this gift. I will treasure it and enjoy re-reading your novel. What an honour to have this copy of “The Third Grace” in my library ❤

• Posted June 15, 2017 at 7:17 am | Permalink

Lynn, I see I neglected to answer this comment of yours. Sorry about that. I’m thrilled that you were thrilled. : ) I’m going to do another contest one of these days soon . . .